Short guide for setting the table
Whether it is a meal attended by a special guest, or a major event attended by hundreds of people, there are a number of rules to keep in mind when arranging tableware, cutlery and glasses on the table.
In order to make your work easier, we have chosen to discuss this topic and to present you with a list of rules that any place and implicitly all of us must adhere to.
Current studies show that tableware is part of the marketing strategy of hotels, restaurants, cafes, etc., which is why it is particularly important. The branding of the tableware (whether we are talking about the printed logo or the distinct design) gives a detail to any table.
How do we arrange the plates?
The plate for the first dish is placed on top of the support plate, followed by the addition of new plates, placed equally, on the support plate. There are situations where all the dishes will be placed on the table in the order in which the meal will be served, but this depends on the specifics of the area or the restaurant / hotel etc. Although it is indicated that they belong to the same range, no one can resist a decorator talent, where you may combine shapes in such a way that the final ensemble is impressive in appearance.
The jour plate (the smallest) for butter is placed on the top left of the plates.
How do we arrange the cutlery?
– the forks are placed on the left side of the plates, facing upwards. The smallest, intended for appetizer or salad, sits on the outside, and the largest, usually used as main course, inside. Basically, they range from small to large, from outside to inside;
– the soup spoon is placed on the right side of the plate, outside;
– the knives are also placed on the right side, always with the sharp blade inwards;
– the napkin sits to the left of the forks. If you choose to use textile napkins, they are modeled directly on the top plate;
– the cutlery for dessert is placed at the top side of the plate.
How do we arrange glasses and cups?
– the cup and the coffee saucer are placed on the right side towards the top of the plate and the cup will always have the handle at 4 o’clock in order to be easily lifted;
– the glasses are placed starting from the left to the right: the water glass, the thin glass for champagne, the wine glass, the liquor glass.
Depending on the particularities of the area and the specifics of the table (corporate events, wedding, baptism, etc.), the order of the dishes, but also the cutlery may differ. Also, the number of items on the table may differ depending on your needs.
Good luck at setting the table!
If you need advice for purchasing the dishes according to your field of activity, contact AXA Porcelaine consultants.